Is ADD the same as ADHD?

In 1994 (the same year Schindler's List swept the Oscar’s), a group of brainy scientists started revising the big bible of mental health. They realized that many people with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) also had problems with hyperactivity. So they added a capital "H" to ADD, creating the term we all know today, ADHD.
Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
The letters ADD and ADHD both refer to the same disorder: attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The term ADD is often used instead of ADHD because attention deficit hyperactivity disorder was once known as attention deficit disorder. In 1994 the American Psychiatric Association changed the name to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, but many people, including health professionals, still use the term ADD instead of ADHD. However, the correct term is ADHD, and the term ADD may start becoming less popular as more people become aware of the new terminology and guidelines on ADHD.

Some doctors use the term ADD to describe people who have the primarily inattentive type of ADHD. A doctor might say that the individual has ADD, instead of ADHD, because the person does not have hyperactive qualities. For example, they may not have trouble sitting still, but they are distracted easily and have trouble following directions.

Continue Learning about ADHD

A Mother's Concern About ADHD
A Mother's Concern About ADHD
Matthew, an active 7-year-old, and his mother, Judy, came to see me. From the moment Judy began talking, I noticed tears welling up in her eyes. "Mat...
Why can adults with ADHD seem overly sensitive?
Some people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) feel things very deeply and it'...
Why do I want to be the center of attention if I have adult ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Sometimes an attention deficit disorder (ADD) adult's hyperactivity is driven by what I call a "clas...
Do Adults with ADHD Have a Higher Chance of Drug or Alcohol Addiction?