Why are stimulants used to treat ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Stimulant medications treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) by balancing our brain chemicals, helping us to function better. The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) acknowledges that it sounds odd to prescribe a stimulant medication to someone who is hyperactive. According to NIMH, stimulants calm people with ADHD, including very active children. When a person takes a stimulant medication regularly, the medications reduce the symptoms of ADHD. When the medication is stopped, the symptoms return.

Some of the symptoms that stimulants improve include:

- increasing the ability to focus, stay organized, and plan ahead
- reducing impulsive behavior
- improving relationships with others

Overall, stimulants are used to treat ADHD because they work well. Treatment with medication, especially when combined with behavior therapies, is the most effective treatment for ADHD.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

Do ADHD medications cause young people to commit suicide?
Medications that treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) have been shown to slightly i...
What are the treatment recommendations for children with ADHD?
Up to 80% of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) sufferers experience improvement by tak...
How Do I Know If I Need Treatment for Adult ADHD?
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
4 Ways to Find Your Focus