What is the treatment for attention disorders?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
The treatment for attention disorders, like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), is pretty similar for children, teenagers, and adults. Your best bet is to visit your doctor or a psychologist to design a treatment plan that works for you. To get started, ask your doctor about ADHD medications. Medications have different side effects, and some work better than others. Don't give up if you don't like the first drug you try.

Along with ADHD medications, there are multiple treatments available in a therapist's office. Individual therapy can help you learn ways to manage your ADHD symptoms at home, school, or work. Family therapy may help you, your spouse, and your other children, if ADHD symptoms cause strife at home. If your child suffers socially due to his ADHD symptoms, consider social skills training groups. In these groups, children have a chance to process their feelings and learn healthier ways to get along with others. Ask your child's therapist about home visits. Many professionals work with children at home and in the school setting.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

What are the differences between the PATS and MTA studies for ADHD?
PATS study for ADHD The Preschool Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Treatment Study (PATS) lo...
How are medications used in ADHD treatment?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medications work by helping the brain's chemical mes...
Do we know if ADHD treatment helps children get better over time?
A groundbreaking study in 1999 showed that medication and behavioral therapies were the most effecti...
How Do I Know If I Need Treatment for Adult ADHD?