What should I know about medication for ADHD?

For attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medication treatment to be successful, you need to be willing to take the medication as directed and stick with it. You also need to be able to tolerate any side effects associated with the medication. And you need to feel comfortable with the concept that some ADHD medications may pose a risk for potential misuse or abuse. If all of those factors feel like things you can handle, and you'd like to explore all of your options for ADHD management, talk with your doctor about medication treatments. There is no right or wrong decision when it comes to treating ADHD with medication. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with and able to handle.

If you choose to try medication, expect a short period of trial and error as you and your doctor work toward finding the treatment and the dose that works best for you and your situation.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

What are the effects of ADD/ADHD medications?
Dr. Leopold D. Galland, MDDr. Leopold D. Galland, MD
Research indicates that two drugs commonly prescribed to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disor...
Can my child's ADHD be treated without medications?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
The National Resource Center on ADHD reports that medication is superior to behavioral therapies...
How Do I Know If I Need Treatment for Adult ADHD?
Minimize Side Effects from ADHD Medications