What professionals should be involved in ADHD treatment?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Several different types of healthcare professionals treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), but only some of them can prescribe medications for the condition. In fact, each specialist who treats ADHD may have a certain preferred way of treating the disorder. Nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and physicians are able to prescribe medications, and may use that line of treatment first. Psychologists and licensed counselors are trained to provide behavioral therapies for ADHD and may emphasize those specific types of treatments. You may even choose to see more than one specialist for ADHD treatment, receiving your prescription medications from a physician and behavior treatments from a therapist. This is known as multimodal treatment.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

What are the affects of nutrition, supplements and food additives on ADHD?
Dr. Douglas E. Severance, MDDr. Douglas E. Severance, MD
Regularly taking vitamins and supplements may offer benefits for attention deficit hyperactivity dis...
How do psychostimulants help treat ADHD?
Psychostimulant medications -- which include methylphenidate, dexmethylphenidate, and amphetamin...
How can I work out a treatment plan for my child’s ADHD?
There’s no “I” in team, and a team effort is definitely what you need here. To create and maintain a...
Does parent training treat behavior disorders with ADHD?
Parent training can help treat behavior disorders with ADHD in the sense that it gives you coping ...