What is the treatment for attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is often treated with medication. Either a stimulant or a non-stimulant medication may be prescribed. Counseling provided by a trained professional is also part of an effective treatment. Parents and teachers of an affected child will benefit from education about the best ways to interact with the child.

Usually ADHD is managed with a combination of behavioral therapy and medication. When properly managed, children may learn to use their excess energy to their advantage, while also learning how to minimize other less productive tendencies of the disorder. A well-rounded, healthy diet, high-quality sleep, and limited environmental distractions can help.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Take the RealAge Test!

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

How Can I Communicate Better With My Partner If I Have Adult ADHD?
What Are the Treatment Options for Adults With ADHD?
Spend Time Outdoors to Improve Your Concentration
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
4 Ways to Find Your Focus