What is behavior modification for ADHD?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Behavior modification, or behavior therapy, is a psychosocial treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This type of therapy can be very effective as a treatment for ADHD and can help a person change his or her behavior. Behavior therapy is most effective when combined with ADHD medication therapy. In behavior therapy, a child, adolescent, or adult works to identify problem areas, learns new skills to change problem behaviors, and practices these skills.

Parents and teachers may be asked to get involved in a child's behavior modification therapy, learning ways to help the child or adolescent reduce problem behaviors and use new coping skills.

Behavior modification can also be learned in social skills groups. In a social skills group, behavior modification therapy takes place in a group setting, composed of people with ADHD. The group can work together on changing troublesome behaviors with support from their peers. Behavior modification can help individuals with ADHD achieve greater success in school, at work, and in their personal life.

Behavioral therapy includes setting up a system of rewards for positive behavior to help children build self-esteem. To me, behavior management therapy is almost always beneficial because your child will learn how to be better organized and how to break down large tasks into smaller, manageable pieces with the help of timetables and schedules. Many schools have developed special programs to help kids with ADHD. While there is no specific cure for ADHD, a long-term management plan will help bring encouraging results.

From The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

The Smart Parent's Guide: Getting Your Kids Through Checkups, Illnesses, and Accidents

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do! "Moms and dads need expert guidelines, especially when it comes to their kids' health. This book reveals the inside strategies I use myself-I'm a parent,...

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

what are examples of behavioral-therapy treatments for adhd ?
Behavioral therapy treatment is one of the most effective forms of treatment for attention defic...
what is the treatment for attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (adhd ) ?
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is often treated with medication. Either a stimulant...
how do adhd medications affect the brain ?
Medications treat symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) by changing the way ou...
how does a psychiatrist treat adhd ?
A psychiatrist is the only mental health professional who can offer the full range of attention ...