What are the differences between drugs or other therapies to treat ADHD?

Javier A. Hiriart, MD
Every child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) represents a unique situation, and treatment for the condition (including the use of drugs and other therapies) should be based on a variety of factors, including the age and the severity of the condition. ADHD is a biological disorder characterized by hyperactivity, impulsiveness and attention problems.

In the U.S., about six million children have been diagnosed with ADHD. Historically, treatment for the disorder has been fiercely divided between two extremes -- no medication or overmedication -- with backlashes from either camp. The pendulum usually swings too far to either one side or the other. There has to be a middle ground, somewhere in between -- both rational and appropriate. Parents should discuss their child’s behavior, as well as any academic or social difficulties, with their pediatrician or family doctor.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

Can my child's ADHD be treated without medications?
The most common treatment for ADHD is a combination of medication and behavioral therapy. Behavioral...
What is multimodal treatment for ADHD?
Multimodal treatment for ADHD is a shorthand way of saying: “Let’s treat that ADHD every way we kn...
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
How Can I Communicate Better With My Partner If I Have Adult ADHD?