Does parent training treat behavior disorders with ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Parent training can be helpful in treating behavior disorders in children and teenagers with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The National Resource Center on ADHD says that parent training can be done at home, reducing problems associated with oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) and conduct disorder (CD). Unfortunately, behavior disorders occur in high numbers in children with ADHD. These disorders are found in 25% to 50% of children and adolescents with ADHD.

In parent training sessions for behavior disorders, parents identify specific problem behaviors and learn effective strategies to modify these problem behaviors in their children. Some of these strategies include giving rewards and taking away privileges.

When parents work hard to implement these behavioral modification strategies on a daily basis, problem behaviors are reduced. For severe behavior disorders, parents may need to seek additional intensive treatments to address problem behaviors.

Parent training can help treat behavior disorders with ADHD in the sense that it gives you coping mechanisms and strategies to deal with behavioral issues that may come up. While your child may benefit from individual behavior-modification therapy as well as medications, learning how to tailor your parenting skills and home life to the needs of a child with ADHD can play a big role in helping to handle disruptive behaviors.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

Can my child's ADHD be treated without medications?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
The National Resource Center on ADHD reports that medication is superior to behavioral therapies...
How can I work out a treatment plan for my child’s ADHD?
After your child is diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), you will wor...
Spend Time Outdoors to Improve Your Concentration
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
4 Ways to Find Your Focus