Can optometric vision training help people with ADHD?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Optometric vision training, which focuses on improving visual problems, has not been shown to offer benefits for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and its symptoms. This approach involves such visual concerns as faulty eye movements, sensitivity of the eyes to certain light frequencies, and focus problems, all of which cause reading disorders. While treatment programs can vary, they may include eye exercises and educational and perceptual training.

As for ADHD, a statement was released explaining that there is “no systematic data on optometric training for ADHD despite its widespread use.” In 1972, a joint statement highly critical of this approach was issued by multiple organizations. These included the American Academy of Pediatrics, the then-American Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology, and the American Association of Ophthalmology.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

What is the Feingold Diet for ADHD?
Back in the 1970s, it was thought that the Feingold Diet might offer an effective treatment for ...
How can I decide if I should take medication for ADHD?
Deciding whether and when to include medication in an attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (...
What Are the Different Types of ADHD Treatment for Children?
Spend Time Outdoors to Improve Your Concentration