What is multimodal treatment for ADHD?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Multiple therapies exist to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children. The National Institute of Mental Health Multimodal Treatment Study of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder showed that medication alone and medication combined with behavioral therapies were the best treatments for ADHD.

People with ADHD can choose to use several therapies at once. Using several therapies for ADHD is called multimodal therapy. Multimodal therapy for children can include education of parent and child, behavior modification, school programs, support groups, and medication. If your child has ADHD and you are interested in a multimodal approach to treatment, talk to your doctor. Multimodal treatment may require your child to see a variety of specialists in school and outside of school.

Remember, each child responds differently to each form of ADHD treatment, so work with your care providers to find the best treatment for your child.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

4 Ways to Find Your Focus
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
What Are the Treatment Options for Adults With ADHD?
How Can I Communicate Better With My Partner If I Have Adult ADHD?