Is medication the only treatment option for ADHD?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

While medication is effective for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), especially when combined with therapy, you can use therapy alone. One benefit of therapy is that your child is not bothered by side effects. Some of the most highly regarded treatments for ADHD, aside from drugs, include:

• family therapy
  • individual therapy
  • behavior modification
  • social and educational groups

These treatments offer you and your child a chance to learn new strategies to overcome the trials and tribulations of ADHD. While this may seem appealing, know that the combination of medication and behavioral treatment is often the most effective way to deal with childhood ADHD. Talk to your pediatrician, child psychiatrist, or therapist to learn more about treatments available for you.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

How Can I Communicate Better With My Partner If I Have Adult ADHD?
Minimize Side Effects from ADHD Medications
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
What Are the Different Types of ADHD Treatment for Children?