Is treatment for ADHD different for adults than for children?

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) treatment is similar for adults and children. Treatment includes a combination of prescribed stimulant medications to help increase concentration and lessen restlessness, along with psychological guidance to improve coping with stress and to develop stronger organizational and problem-solving skills.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Iris Rodriguez-Johnson, MD
Pediatrics

The treatment for ADHD for adults is the same as that for children. The only difference of course is the higher doses are required and combined medication therapy may be needed. Also, very important in adult treatment is therapy to help them understand and cope with their condition.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

Can relaxation therapy help people with ADHD?
Children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may find that relaxation therapy o...
Should I call my doctor about side effects from ADHD medication?
Serious or worrisome side effects of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medication ...
What Are the Treatment Options for Adults with ADHD?
How Do I Know If I Need Treatment for Adult ADHD?