Is there a cure for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There is no cure for ADHD. Symptoms can be managed with medication, counseling, and behavioral therapy. Talk to you or your child's doctor to discuss the best treatment options.

Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrician
There is no cure for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, but there is help.  Possible treatments include stimulant medication, non-stimulant medication and therapy. Treatment can be tailored to the patient, depending on which symptoms of ADHD are most bothersome. Stimulant medications are usually the most effective, but not for everyone. Talk to your primary doctor about which treatment to try.

There is no cure for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Even with medicine and therapy, and trying really hard, kids with ADHD still have rough days where they might seem annoying, or like they're not paying attention, but it's never on purpose. It’s hard, and it can make kids with ADHD feel sad and alone.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

Minimize Side Effects from ADHD Medications
Spend Time Outdoors to Improve Your Concentration
What Are the Treatment Options for Adults with ADHD?
How Do I Know If I Need Treatment for Adult ADHD?