What is ADHD coaching for adults?

ADHD coaching is just what it sounds like. You work with a health coach who’s trained to work with people with ADHD to help them stay organized and achieve their goals on time and in a structured way. ADHD coaches usually work with adults, not kids. You’ll meet regularly with your coach, who can encourage you, make recommendations, ask questions, and give you tools to help you manage your time better and teach you other practical skills for daily life.

It is important to note that coaches are not part of a licensed health specialty. Right now, most coaches are credentialed through the International Coach Federation (coachfederation.org), and some of these coaches specialize in working with people with ADHD. In addition, since the field is so new, there are no set standards for practices or ethics. However, task forces and institutes have been established to help advance and develop the coaching field a bit more.
Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) coaching can be an integral part of a treatment plan to provide motivation for people with ADHD to improve life skills. Coaching is different from therapy, but involves a coach working with a person to set specific goals and work together to develop a detailed plan to achieve positive results.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

What are the side effects of stimulant medications for ADHD?
The most commonly reported side effects are decreased appetite, sleep problems, anxiety, and irritab...
Do ADHD medications make people more likely to abuse drugs?
Young people who take medications for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) do not fac...
How Do I Know If I Need Treatment for Adult ADHD?
How Can I Communicate Better With My Partner If I Have Adult ADHD?