What is interactive metronome treatment for ADHD?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine

The interactive metronome (IM) treatment may offer benefits for people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). This relatively new treatment option takes advantage of the metronome, a common musical tool used to keep the beat. With IM treatment, the traditional metronome is computerized, producing a rhythmic beat. Participants, whether with ADHD or not, attempt to match this beat by clapping or tapping their feet.

The IM treatment provides auditory (hearing) feedback and measures how accurately people match the computerized beats. As people improve their matching of the beats over repeated sessions, they should improve their motor planning and timing skills.

Researchers believe that children with ADHD may not have strong planning and timing abilities and may also have behavioral inhibitions. A single 2001 study found that boys who underwent IM treatment displayed improvements in multiple ADHD areas.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

Minimize Side Effects from ADHD Medications
What Are the Different Types of ADHD Treatment for Children?
What Are the Treatment Options for Adults with ADHD?
How Do I Know If I Need Treatment for Adult ADHD?