How do psychostimulants help treat ADHD?

Psychostimulant medications -- which include methylphenidate, dexmethylphenidate, and amphetamines -- are the most common kind of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medication. They help ADHD sufferers feel calm by increasing levels of dopamine in the brain. These medicines can also improve concentration and focus and decrease impulsivity. Stimulants are available in both short- and long-acting forms.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

What is a medication holiday for ADHD?
A medication holiday is when attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medications are sto...
What is the Feingold Diet for ADHD?
Back in the 1970s, it was thought that the Feingold Diet might offer an effective treatment for ...
Minimize Side Effects from ADHD Medications
How Do I Know If I Need Treatment for Adult ADHD?