How do psychostimulants help treat ADHD?

Psychostimulant medications -- which include methylphenidate, dexmethylphenidate, and amphetamines -- are the most common kind of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medication. They help ADHD sufferers feel calm by increasing levels of dopamine in the brain. These medicines can also improve concentration and focus and decrease impulsivity. Stimulants are available in both short- and long-acting forms.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

What is cerebellar training for ADHD?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
The theory is that the neuro-connections between parts of the brain have been disrupted and the resu...
What is the difference between short- and long-acting ADHD medications?
Short-acting and long-acting ADHD medications are exactly the same drugs; they differ only in how ...
Spend Time Outdoors to Improve Your Concentration
How Can I Communicate Better With My Partner If I Have Adult ADHD?