How can I decide if I should take medication for ADHD?

Deciding whether and when to include medication in an attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) treatment plan is a big decision. And the decision is also a completely individual one, so you will need to take into account a host of information about yourself, including other medical conditions you might have.

In order to arrive at the choice that makes the most sense for you -- or for your child -- you'll want to answer a few questions first:
  • How much does ADHD affect work or school life?
  • How much does ADHD affect your family dynamic?
  • How much does ADHD affect one-to-one relationships with your partner, friends, or family members?

It's important to let your doctor know exactly how deeply you feel affected by ADHD. The more the above areas are affected -- despite efforts to control symptoms -- the more you may lean toward medication.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

How can I find the best treatment for my adult ADHD?
Adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can work with their doctors to ident...
What is the treatment for attention disorders?
The treatment for attention disorders, like attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), is ...
How Do I Know If I Need Treatment for Adult ADHD?
What Are the Different Types of ADHD Treatment for Children?