How can I decide if I should take medication for ADHD?

Deciding whether and when to include medication in an attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) treatment plan is a big decision. And the decision is also a completely individual one, so you will need to take into account a host of information about yourself, including other medical conditions you might have.

In order to arrive at the choice that makes the most sense for you -- or for your child -- you'll want to answer a few questions first:
  • How much does ADHD affect work or school life?
  • How much does ADHD affect your family dynamic?
  • How much does ADHD affect one-to-one relationships with your partner, friends, or family members?

It's important to let your doctor know exactly how deeply you feel affected by ADHD. The more the above areas are affected -- despite efforts to control symptoms -- the more you may lean toward medication.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

When is medication needed to treat ADHD in children?
Javier A. Hiriart, MDJavier A. Hiriart, MD
While behavior therapy and an individual education plan (IEP) may be sufficient for treatment if you...
Do medications for ADHD have side effects?
Medications for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) do have side effects, which may vary...
Spend Time Outdoors to Improve Your Concentration
What Are the Treatment Options for Adults with ADHD?