How does cognitive behavioral therapy help those with ADHD?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) can teach people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) how to change unhealthy thoughts and behaviors. Therapists who use CBT work in a very structured setting and often prescribe homework assignments for people to complete outside of therapy sessions. During therapy sessions, patients identify problems that need to be solved, and a therapist helps the person learn and practice healthy ways to solve the problems. In CBT, people can address problems that occur at home, at school, at work, or in relationships.

One form of CBT for ADHD is called collaborative problem solving (CPS). CPS is a method that parents and adults can use to encourage healthy behaviors in children. Adults are taught ways to predict situations that will cause problems for a child and proactive ways to prevent problem behaviors from occurring.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is a powerful therapy that helps people with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) identify and change negative thoughts and behaviors, and it can help people curb unwanted behaviors like disorganization and poor time management. Cognitive-behavioral therapy for ADHD can also help people feel more confident and more empowered.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

How Do I Know If I Need Treatment for Adult ADHD?
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
What Are the Treatment Options for Adults With ADHD?
What Are the Treatment Options for Adults with ADHD?