How are ADHD medication side effects regulated?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Doctors and their patients help the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulate side effects of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medications. When a person experiences a side effect and reports it to the doctor, the doctor should document it. Then, the doctor should report common medication side effects to the FDA, which uses this information to evaluate the safety of the drug.

When serious side effects occur frequently, the FDA must decide on the appropriate action. Sometimes, the FDA will withdraw the medication from public use. At other times, warning labels are put on the medication packaging to educate the public about the possible side effects. One example of this is when the FDA noticed a link between ADHD stimulant medications and heart problems in young people. Now, stimulant medications for ADHD include a black box warning label that cautions people about a potential risk for heart problems when the medication is taken.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

Should I call my doctor about side effects from ADHD medication?
Serious or worrisome side effects of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) medication ...
Can spending time in nature relieve symptoms of ADHD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
A study found that the symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) were relieved...
What Alternative Treatments Are Available for Adults Who Have ADHD?
How Can I Communicate Better With My Partner If I Have Adult ADHD?