How do ADHD medications affect the brain?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Medications treat symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) by changing the way our neurotransmitters work in the brain. Neurotransmitters are special substances in our brains that allow brain cells to communicate with each other. The neurotransmitters that ADHD medications alter include norepinephrine and dopamine. As a result, these medications modify the areas of the brain that control our attention span and activity levels.

However, each medication affects people in different ways. Doctors are not able to predict exactly how each person will respond to a specific ADHD medication. Sometimes a doctor will need to switch a person's medication or adjust the dose to find the most effective way to treat one's ADHD symptoms.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

What is cerebellar training for ADHD?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
The theory is that the neuro-connections between parts of the brain have been disrupted and the resu...
How can I help my child with ADHD reduce stress?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Kids with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can easily become overloaded by stress. Yo...
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
4 Ways to Find Your Focus