How can I find the best treatment for my adult ADHD?

Adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can work with their doctors to identify the best course of treatment for their ADHD symptoms. If you are an adult with ADHD, you may be prescribed stimulant medications for your condition. These medications directly affect your brain chemicals, resulting in decreased ADHD symptoms and an improved quality of life.

The National Resource Center for ADHD reports that nearly three in four adults respond to high doses of stimulant medications, while low doses are not as effective. If you do not respond to the first medication that your doctor gives you, even after the dose is increased, your doctor may want to change the type of medication you are on. Once an effective dose and medication have been identified, your doctor will want to monitor you for any uncomfortable side effects.

Side effects from stimulant medications are usually mild and may include:

• higher blood pressure and increased heart rate
  • mood changes, like anxiety and insomnia
  • weight loss or reduced appetite
  • headache

At times, adults are prescribed non-stimulant medications, like antidepressants.
There are many resources available for learning about ADHD in both children and adults. The best place to start is by talking to your primary care physician. Online resources include the CDC, the Cleveland Clinic, and Sharecare.

Adults with ADHD should work with their doctor to find the best medication for them. However, keep in mind that finding the right dose of the right drug or combination of drugs may take some trial and error. Be patient. The benefits are worth the wait.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

Can my child's ADHD be treated without medications?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
The National Resource Center on ADHD reports that medication is superior to behavioral therapies...
How does a psychologist treat ADHD?
Psychologists can treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) with different types of ...
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
4 Ways to Find Your Focus
What Alternative Treatments Are Available for Adults Who Have ADHD?