Do psychosocial treatments increase the efficacy of ADHD drugs?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Multiple research studies have shown that medications and psychosocial treatments are the most effective therapies for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). It is important to mention that medication treatment, given alone, has been found to be superior to behavioral treatment, given alone. However, ADHD symptoms are usually most effectively managed when medication and psychosocial treatments are combined.

According to the National Resource Center on ADHD, when parents start children on both intensive medication and behavioral therapy treatments, a child's symptoms may improve more quickly, and the intensity of the therapies can be reduced more quickly over time. The use of psychosocial treatments offers benefits that medications cannot offer. Psychosocial therapies teach children new skills and ways to reduce distress and problem behaviors. Unlike medication, this knowledge can last a lifetime.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

How do I know if I need treatment for adult ADHD?
Robert J. Hedaya, MDRobert J. Hedaya, MD
First, be sure that you have ADHD. The most common mimics of attention disorders in adults are anxie...
Is psychotherapy a quick fix for ADHD?
Psychotherapy is not a quick fix for ADHD. Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for ADHD, but that...
Minimize Side Effects from ADHD Medications
What Are the Treatment Options for Adults With ADHD?