Do doctors believe that only medication can treat ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Some doctors may believe that medication is the primary treatment of choice for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), but that is changing. According to the National Resource Center on ADHD, many health professionals now agree that behavioral interventions are key to treating ADHD.

Since publication of results from the Multimodal Treatment Study of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (MTA study), doctors began to recognize the benefit of behavioral treatment for ADHD. The MTA study showed that medication was most effective when combined with behavioral treatments for children with ADHD.

Some of the options for behavioral treatments for ADHD, recommended by the National Resource Center on ADHD, include:

- behavior modification
- child interventions
- parent training
- psychosocial treatments
- school interventions
- social skills training

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Treatment

Adderall makes me irritable. Is there another drug option for ADHD?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
There are several good medications for ADHD. It’s not uncommon to have to try several medications – ...
What alternative treatments are available for adults who have ADHD?
Sudeepta Varma, MDSudeepta Varma, MD
Medication isn't the only treatment for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). In this vid...
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
Coping With ADHD Frustrations
How Can I Communicate Better With My Partner If I Have Adult ADHD?