What should I expect to feel when my child has been diagnosed with ADHD?

Most likely, your child really is a handful if she has been diagnosed with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). In fact, your child may be more than a handful. All young children are energetic and rambunctious compared to their parents and teachers. But it's quite possible that your child has even more energy than a typical child. In some ways, your child is like a 50-watt light bulb that has 100 watts of energy coursing through it.

Your child has a hard time managing her high levels of energy. You, the parent, have to manage not only your child's high levels of energy but also her difficulties managing her energy, despite the fact that you do not have an enormous amount of energy yourself. In short, children with ADHD can be exhausting for adults. Out of sheer fatigue, you may have found yourself being short tempered with your child. Or you may have found yourself using strategies that you know will not be helpful to her in the long run. Because you may have your own complaints about the difficulties managing such a live wire, you may have become an apologist for your child in interacting with others, including teachers. For example, when the teacher has complained about your child's behavior, you may have found it easy to apologize to the teacher. You may feel guilty, thinking that your child's teacher considers you a bad parent, so you have to show him that it's not your fault by apologizing for your child.
The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems into Strengths

As a parent, you already know that your child has many gifts. What you may not know is that attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) related symptoms—the very qualities that lead him or her...

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Diagnosis

The Youngest Kindergarteners May Be Overdiagnosed with ADHD
When the pilot for The Andy Griffith Show aired in 1959, Ron Howard was five-years-old. He was born on March 1st, so if he started kindergarten that y...
What role can teachers play in diagnosing attention deficit hyperactivity?
Susan Bartell, PsyDSusan Bartell, PsyD
Teachers can provide excellent--and often the first--observations of a child's behavior that may be ...
What is the first step if I think my child has ADHD?
Greenville Health SystemGreenville Health System
If you think that your child has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), talk to your pedia...
Why Is ADHD Often Misdiagnosed?
Why Is ADHD Often Misdiagnosed?