What are the disadvantages of being diagnosed with ADD as an adult?

The promise of getting a diagnosis of adult attention deficit disorder (ADD) is that suddenly what may have seemed like a personal failing has a name. The pitfall of getting a diagnosis is that while ADD may roll off the tongue these days like a hip new fad, it is classified as a mental disorder. The label illuminates at the very same time that it incapacitates. And the label can easily become a permission slip for problem behavior; for example, for kids to stop working or for husbands to cheat on their wives because "my ADD made me do it."
The Gift of Adult ADD: How to Transform Your Challenges and Build on Your Strengths

If you have attention deficit disorder (ADD), you may act impulsively, daydream, and have trouble focusing, but clinical studies suggest that these same symptoms may make you exceptionally creative,...

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Diagnosis

The Youngest Kindergarteners May Be Overdiagnosed with ADHD
When the pilot for The Andy Griffith Show aired in 1959, Ron Howard was five-years-old. He was born on March 1st, so if he started kindergarten that y...
If I have trouble paying attention, do I have ADHD?
While we all have trouble concentrating, especially after lunch (all except me, of course), and can ...
How can I help my child do well in school?
Dr. Heath A. Cobb, MDDr. Heath A. Cobb, MD
Follow these steps to help your child with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) do his ho...
Minimize Side Effects from ADHD Medications