What is the first step if I think my child has ADHD?

If you think that your child has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), talk to your pediatrician. Pediatricians can guide you in ADHD diagnosis and treatment options. If you are unsure about whether you should seek help or not, consider the following: Young people with ADHD often struggle in school, especially if they do not get treated early on. They also struggle socially. Children with ADHD may be more likely to have mental health problems than other children. They may also abuse drugs and alcohol at higher rates.

These are situations that you want your child to avoid. If you feel that your child needs help, get advice as soon as possible. Early diagnosis and treatment may help your child avoid some serious problems later in life.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Nor does the contents of this website constitute the establishment of a physician patient or therapeutic relationship. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Diagnosis

The Youngest Kindergarteners May Be Overdiagnosed with ADHD
When the pilot for The Andy Griffith Show aired in 1959, Ron Howard was five-years-old. He was born on March 1st, so if he started kindergarten that y...
If I have trouble paying attention, do I have ADHD?
If you have severe difficulties paying attention and it is causing a great deal of distress in your ...
Is there a test that can diagnose ADHD unequivocally?
Currently, we do not have one test available to diagnose attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (A...
Why Is ADHD Often Misdiagnosed?
Why Is ADHD Often Misdiagnosed?