If I have trouble paying attention, do I have ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
If you have severe difficulties paying attention and it is causing a great deal of distress in your life, you may have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). There is a subtype of ADHD that only includes problems with inattention. This subtype is called ADHD, predominantly inattentive type. This type occurs when children and adults have extreme difficulties paying attention, without signs of excess hyperactivity.

To be clinically diagnosed with ADHD, predominantly inattentive type, you must display at least six of nine symptoms of inattention. These symptoms must also cause a great deal of distress in several areas of your life, such as at home, school, or at work. If you have trouble paying attention from time to time, but tend to perform well at work or school, you probably do not have ADHD. If you are concerned about your short attention span, you may want to talk to your doctor about it.

While we all have trouble concentrating, especially after lunch (all except me, of course), and can feel hyper after a huge cup of strong coffee (or gallon; one cup barely wakes me up), the effects wear off and do not affect our ability to function (save if you have as much as I do). That’s one of the toughest things about ADHD. The symptoms are so severe that they interfere with your ability to function.

However, if you think that your difficulty concentrating is affecting your daily life, talk to your doctor about your concerns and ask for an evaluation.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Diagnosis

The Youngest Kindergarteners May Be Overdiagnosed with ADHD
When the pilot for The Andy Griffith Show aired in 1959, Ron Howard was five-years-old. He was born on March 1st, so if he started kindergarten that y...
What does it mean to reframe an ADHD diagnosis?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Looking at attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as a gift will help you to increase y...
How does a doctor diagnose ADHD?
Current psychiatric guidelines require that children satisfy strict criteria before qualifying for a...
How Is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Diagnosed?