If I have trouble paying attention, do I have ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
If you have severe difficulties paying attention and it is causing a great deal of distress in your life, you may have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). There is a subtype of ADHD that only includes problems with inattention. This subtype is called ADHD, predominantly inattentive type. This type occurs when children and adults have extreme difficulties paying attention, without signs of excess hyperactivity.

To be clinically diagnosed with ADHD, predominantly inattentive type, you must display at least six of nine symptoms of inattention. These symptoms must also cause a great deal of distress in several areas of your life, such as at home, school, or at work. If you have trouble paying attention from time to time, but tend to perform well at work or school, you probably do not have ADHD. If you are concerned about your short attention span, you may want to talk to your doctor about it.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Diagnosis

Minimize Side Effects from ADHD Medications
How Is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Diagnosed?
Why Is ADHD Often Misdiagnosed?
Why Is ADHD Often Misdiagnosed?
At What Age Can a Child Be Diagnosed with ADHD?