What environmental factors cause ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Multiple studies show that environmental factors may contribute to the development of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). In particular, researchers believe that there may be a link between ADHD in children and cigarette smoking and alcohol use during pregnancy.

Another leading risk factor is high levels of lead, as a study published in the December 2006 issue of the Environmental Health Perspectives suggests. In this study, it was found that preschoolers exposed to high lead levels may be at higher risk of developing ADHD. These higher levels are commonly found in plumbing fixtures or paint in old buildings.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Causes

If my sibling has ADHD, what are the chances that I will have ADHD?
Roughly 30%. While we can’t give you the exact odds, we do know that ADHD runs in families. Inte...
What is the relationship between technology, media, and ADD?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
Research has found that high levels of TV viewing predict attention deficit disorder (ADD) in childr...
What are some risk factors for ADHD?
The single biggest risk factor for ADHD is heredity. Relatives with it have a greater preponderance,...
What Causes Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)?