What environmental factors cause ADHD?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Multiple studies show that environmental factors may contribute to the development of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). In particular, researchers believe that there may be a link between ADHD in children and cigarette smoking and alcohol use during pregnancy.

Another leading risk factor is high levels of lead, as a study published in the December 2006 issue of the Environmental Health Perspectives suggests. In this study, it was found that preschoolers exposed to high lead levels may be at higher risk of developing ADHD. These higher levels are commonly found in plumbing fixtures or paint in old buildings.

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Causes

If my parent has ADHD, what are the chances that I will have ADHD?
If your parent has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), you have a 30% chance of being d...
Do sugar and aspartame cause ADHD?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
When consumed in normal amounts, sugar provides our bodies with glucose, a natural sugar importa...
What Causes Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)?
ADHD vs. ADD
ADHD vs. ADD