What causes attention deficit disorder (ADD)?

Attention deficit disorder (ADD) is a national health crisis that continues to grow -- yet it remains one of the most misunderstood and incorrectly treated illnesses today. Around 20% of boys and 11% of girls are being diagnosed with it.

While genetics, maternal alcohol or drug use, birth trauma, jaundice, brain infections and head trauma can play a causative role in ADD symptoms, the increase in people being diagnosed with it is likely related to influences in our world today that negatively affect brain function, including:
  • Limited physical education in school
  • Excessive use of video games
  • Diets filled with processed foods
  • Exposure to environmental toxins (i.e. pesticides in the food supply)

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Causes

Could my parenting style have caused my child's ADHD?
While ADHD is a problem with a chemical imbalance of the brain, there are certain environmental ...
Does attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) run in families?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) runs in families. Studies have shown that family...
Does Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Run In Families?
Minimize Side Effects from ADHD Medications