Is attention deficit disorder (ADD) genetic?

ADD does tend to run in families. In the last two decades, scientists have made progress in understanding the genetics of ADD. The pioneering works of David Comings, Florence Levy and others have demonstrated a genetic component to this disorder. Specific gene sites implicated in ADD include the dopamine transporter gene on chromosome 5, and the D4 receptor gene on chromosome 11. Child psychiatrist Florence Levy from Australia found that 81% of identical twins (who share identical genetic material) had ADD, while fraternal twins (who have sibling genetic material) share ADD only 29% of the time.
Based on both my clinical experience and the medical literature, it is safe to conclude that a very high percentage of ADD is passed down genetically. In my experience, if one parent has ADD, then 60% of the offspring will have it as well. If both parents have ADD, then 85 to 90% of the children will have it. Anyone who does this work over time has no doubt it is a genetic family disorder and that contributes to the high incidence of family dysfunction in ADD households. There are often multiple challenging people in an ADD family, not just one challenging child.
Healing ADD Special Offer

Continue Learning about ADD/ADHD Causes

What foods cause children to be more hyperactive?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
We’re starting to get some confirmation of what parents have suspected all along – certain “junk foo...
Could my parenting style have caused my child's ADHD?
Irwin IsaacsIrwin Isaacs
No, ADHD is predetermined by genetic factors.  However, your parenting style can have a significant ...
ADHD vs. ADD
ADHD vs. ADD
Does Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) Run In Families?