What's involved in acupuncture treatment?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
A traditional acupuncture treatment starts with a full history that is taken by the practitioner. He or she will check your pulses and your tongue.  Then they will come up with a plan to help balance your energy.

The practitioner will use very thin acupuncture needles in specific points that help to open your energy channels.  When the needles are inserted you may feel a slight cramping sensation and then a release.  Sometimes moxibustion is used. This is a technique that takes a burning herb on top of the needle or near the skin. Sometimes the needles are electrically charged. The visit generally lasts about an hour.

After the visit you may feel tired or energized.  It depends on the treatment and the patient.  It is important to hydrate and get plenty of rest.

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

Can Acupuncture Help Ease Your Chronic Pain?
In the quest to relieve chronic pain, having tiny needles inserted into your skin may not initially sound like a great idea. But the millions of Ameri...
Can acupuncture and acupressure reduce hot flashes during menopause?
Acupuncture and acupressure are treatments that may improve mood and hot flashes in menopausal w...
How can I certify myself as an acupuncturist?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Non-physician acupuncturists are licensed or certified in more than forty states and the District of...
Is Acupuncture Effective?
Is Acupuncture Effective?