What is moxibustion?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
Moxibustion is an acupuncture technique involving moxa, the herb mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris). In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), this herb is used to invigorate the flow of Qi (chi, in TCM, it is the energy that keeps us from falling ill, the energy that forces our heart to beat, or cells to divide) and blood, promote a pain-relieving effect, and deeply penetrate the area of discomfort with soothing warmth.

In moxibustion, the moxa herb is lit on fire and can either be placed on top of the needle (Needle Moxa); applied without the use of needles, as it can be burned in stick form as the acupuncturist hovers and swirls the stick of burning moxa above various acupuncture points; or the moxa can be indirectly placed on various acupoints on the body using a thin slice of ginger or other barrier to shield the skin. Moxibustion is particularly effective for cases like tight muscle spasms, low back pain, frozen shoulder, or various osteoarthritic joint pains, especially when pain is worsened by damp and cold weather.

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

Can acupuncture help me quit smoking?
SCAISCAI
Some people are able to quit smoking with the help of acupuncture, even though research has not pro...
How can I certify myself as an acupuncturist?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Non-physician acupuncturists are licensed or certified in more than forty states and the District of...
What is moxibustion for back pain?
After the common cold, back pain ranks as the second biggest reason why people visit their doctor. T...
Can Acupuncture Be Used to Treat Depression?