What is an acupuncturist?

Dr. Daniel Hsu, DAOM
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

An acupuncturist is a person who practices acupuncture. Acupuncture is a respected field of medicine, and most states, provinces and countries require formal training and certification. In particular the U.S. has rigorous training standards for acupuncturists.

Most states require a 4-year Master's degree in Acupuncture (MSAC) or Traditional Oriental Medicine (MSTOM) from an accredited acupuncture school. In addition, an acupuncturist must pass written and practical state and/or national board exams in order to become licensed. Training includes all aspects of Western medicine as well as Traditional Oriental Medicine.

If you live in a state that does not require licensing, choose an acupuncturist certified by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. Its members are required to have a degree in Acupuncture or Oriental Medicine (Acupuncture and Herbal Medicine) from an accredited school, or have worked as an apprentice acupuncturist for at least four years, and passed both written and practical national board exams. Those who have passed the acupuncture portion of the exam are entitled to add "Dipl.Ac." (Diplomate of Acupuncture) to their names. Practitioners of Traditional Oriental Medicine have passed the exams required for the Dipl.Ac. and the Herbal Medicine exam.

There is also an advanced doctoral degree: the Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (D.A.O.M.). The highest degree available in the U.S., it requires an additional two and a half years of schooling beyond the 4-year Master's degree. Research studies, a dissertation, advanced clinical training, and advanced classes are also requirements. 

An acupuncturist is a person trained in acupuncture (therapy that uses thin needles inserted through the skin at specific points on the body to control pain and other symptoms). Acupuncture is a type of complementary and alternative medicine.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

Can Acupuncture Help Ease Your Chronic Pain?
In the quest to relieve chronic pain, having tiny needles inserted into your skin may not initially sound like a great idea. But the millions of Ameri...
How does acupuncture affect the vagus nerve?
Acupuncture causes measurable increases in vagus nerve activity, so it is at least theoretically pos...
Are there any risks with acupuncture?
Dr. Daniel Hsu, DAOMDr. Daniel Hsu, DAOM
A needle is a needle is a needle, no matter how thin. Even so, acupuncture is generally safe, as l...
What Should I Know Before I Get a Cupping Treatment?