What does acupuncture feel like?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
Acupuncture feels differently to each person that experiences it. When the needle is placed it can feel tingly, cramped or even numb or heavy. After the initial feeling there is a sense of release as the energy channel is opened.

I have had several treatments and I hate needles. At first, the needle stick was a bit of a shock. Now that I know what to expect it is not uncomfortable and even borders on pleasant.
Jill Blakeway, MS, LAc
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Acupuncture needles are very tiny, so they can pinch in bonier areas but they typically don't cause any pain; most patients report feeling peaceful and relaxed during treatment. Watch as acupuncturist Jill Blakeway describes how acupuncture feels. 

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
Can a millennia-old practice really help your health? Proponents of acupuncture think so, and science backs them up. “My patients are often surprised ...
Can acupuncture help treat arthritis?
Acupuncture can be complementary or an alternative treatment to manage pain from arthritis. Acupunct...
Can acupuncture help treat sexual problems in women?
Eva B. Cwynar, MDEva B. Cwynar, MD
Within acupuncture, a low libido is seen as an imbalance of chi within the organ systems, specif...
How Should I Take Care of Myself After Acupuncture?