What are the benefits of acupuncture?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

On a personal note, I have benefitted from Medical Acupuncture to ease my discomfort from “hot flashes,” associated with peri-menopause. More than one session of Acupuncture may be necessary to achieve desired results.

Acupuncture promotes the healing power of harmony and balance in the body’s own internal “energy pathways.” When an Acupuncturist inserts hair-thin needles at precise points on the body, this stimulates the nervous system to release chemicals into the muscles, spinal cord and brain. These chemicals either alter the sensation of pain or trigger release of other chemicals and hormones that influence the body’s own “self-regulation,” system. This improved internal balance and energy stimulate the body’s natural healing abilities to promote physical and emotional wellness. Although everyone has a unique opinion about what feels comfortable, Acupuncture has little to no discomfort and generally has no side effects. You may benefit from having a consultation with a trained, licensed Medical Acupuncturist prior to making your decision about this form of complementary therapy.

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

Does acupuncture hurt?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Acupuncture involves the insertion of fine, hair-like needles into specific points on the body. Peop...
How can acupuncture relieve chronic pain?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Some people are afraid of acupuncture and the needles involved. In this video, Dr. Robin Miller ...
Is it safe to perform acupuncture on myself?
Dr. Daniel Hsu, DAOMDr. Daniel Hsu, DAOM
Self-treatment with acupuncture is not recommended, either with needles or other gadgets. Only a...
Is Acupuncture Effective?
Is Acupuncture Effective?