Is bruising normal after acupuncture?

Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Geriatric Medicine
Bruising is a normal occurrence in acupuncture -- especially in sensitive areas such as the face, legs, and hands. This is due to the perforation of the tiny blood vessels by the needle. If the bruising grows, becomes painful or bleeds, seek medical attention; otherwise, it should subside within two to three days of the treatment.

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
Can a millennia-old practice really help your health? Proponents of acupuncture think so, and science backs them up. “My patients are often surprised ...
Can acupuncture help me quit smoking?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Acupuncture can assist in cravings and dependencies related to smoking. There are several treatm...
How often should I get acupuncture?
Sheri KraussSheri Krauss
How often a person receives cupping and acupuncture treatments depends on the condition. If people h...
What Is an Acupuncture Face Lift?
What Is an Acupuncture Face Lift?