How do I prepare for acupuncture treatment?

Dr. Daniel Hsu, DAOM
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

I recommend wearing loose, comfortable clothing to receive acupuncture treatment. You should be aware that the acupuncturist may need to access points on your torso, arms and legs. It also helps to be in a calm state. Try to arrive 5 or 10 minutes before your appointment to give yourself a chance to relax. Try to avoid the following:

- Eating a big meal within one hour of your appointment

- Fasting for more than six hours before your appointment

- Alcohol, tobacco, food or drinks that color your tongue (such as coffee) immediately prior to treatment or just following a treatment

- Vigorous exercise or sexual activity within the hour before treatment

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

The Power of Acupuncture
The Power of Acupuncture
You may not like the idea of being needled, but acupuncture has been a go-to therapy for over 5,000 years. And this Chinese healing art...
Can acupuncture help treat a frozen shoulder?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Acupuncture is very effective in helping a frozen shoulder as well as other joint pathologies. U...
Is acupuncture for back pain safe if I have a kidney tumor?
Tumors can be serious conditions and require care from proper licensed oncologists or physicians...
What Are the Risks Involved with Ear Stapling?