How many acupuncture sessions are usually needed?

Dr. Daniel Hsu, DAOM
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Length, number and frequency of acupuncture sessions vary. For most conditions, a series of several sessions is necessary to achieve the maximum benefit. After an initial consultation, the acupuncturist should provide you with a treatment plan that includes the techniques to be used, as well as the frequency and duration of treatment.

A typical series of sessions consists of 6 to 12 visits, once or twice a week, with sessions lasting 30 to 90 minutes each. Acute conditions, such as sprains, generally require less time and frequency, whereas more chronic or severe ailments may require several (or several dozen) sessions. Appointments are scheduled further and further apart after the optimal response has been achieved. Some people experience great benefits from weekly or monthly sessions.

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
Can a millennia-old practice really help your health? Proponents of acupuncture think so, and science backs them up. “My patients are often surprised ...
Can acupuncture help treat diabetes?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) can help manage diabetes. It cannot necessari...
What should I do after an acupuncture treatment?
Dr. Daniel Hsu, DAOMDr. Daniel Hsu, DAOM
Patients normally feel relaxed and calm. You may feel tired or drowsy for a few hours if the experie...
What Are the Health Benefits of Acupuncture?