How can I certify myself as an acupuncturist?

Non-physician acupuncturists are licensed or certified in more than forty states and the District of Columbia. In states without licensure, an acupuncturist may choose to take the national exam administered by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. This organization provides local referrals to certified acupuncturists. Many physicians have learned acupuncture, but non-physician acupuncturists may be better trained. The amount of training required for physician acupuncturists (and, in some states, chiropractor acupuncturists) may be only two to three hundred hours, while a typical education standard for a non-physician acupuncturist is two to three thousand hours. However, one advantage that a physician acupuncturist has is that insurance may more likely help pay for the visits.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
Can a millennia-old practice really help your health? Proponents of acupuncture think so, and science backs them up. “My patients are often surprised ...
Is acupuncture safe?
Dr. Henry McCann, DAOMDr. Henry McCann, DAOM
Experts say acupuncture is extremely safe when performed by properly trained professionals, but ther...
How does acupuncture affect the vagus nerve?
Acupuncture causes measurable increases in vagus nerve activity, so it is at least theoretically pos...
How Does Acupuncture Treat Pain?
How Does Acupuncture Treat Pain?