How can I certify myself as an acupuncturist?

Non-physician acupuncturists are licensed or certified in more than forty states and the District of Columbia. In states without licensure, an acupuncturist may choose to take the national exam administered by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. This organization provides local referrals to certified acupuncturists. Many physicians have learned acupuncture, but non-physician acupuncturists may be better trained. The amount of training required for physician acupuncturists (and, in some states, chiropractor acupuncturists) may be only two to three hundred hours, while a typical education standard for a non-physician acupuncturist is two to three thousand hours. However, one advantage that a physician acupuncturist has is that insurance may more likely help pay for the visits.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

What is an acupuncture point injection?
An acupuncture point injection is a procedure in which drugs, vitamins, herbal extracts, or other fl...
Can acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine help treat lupus?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Unfortunately, lupus is relatively new and not fully understood. Also, autoimmune conditions lik...
Can I expect my acupuncturist to fill out my insurance forms?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Ninety-five percent of professional acupuncturists are self employed. Therefore, your acupuncturist ...
How Is Acupuncture Performed?
How Is Acupuncture Performed?