Does acupuncture help relieve pain?

Chris Kilham
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Acupuncture is highly effective for relieving pain of many kinds. Acupuncture, which utilizes slender needles to stimulate various points on the body, actually works directly on the nervous system. Pain from injury, chronic types of pain, and pain from various origins often respond very well to acupuncture. 

Henry McCann, DAOM
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

The short answer to this question is yes. Acupuncture is a common treatment for different types of pain conditions. To date there have been thousands of articles written about acupuncture and pain that are catalogued by the US National Libraries of Medicine. Certainly, not all published studies of acupuncture are of the best quality, but in the last few years many excellent studies have shown that acupuncture is effective in treating conditions such as migraine, low back pain, and different types of osteoarthritis. These studies have been so effective that they have convinced countries such as Germany to cover acupuncture in their national health system for these types of pain.

That said, every patient is unique and exactly how they will respond will differ. The best option for patients with pain is to consult with a licensed acupuncturist about what benefits the treatment may offer for them.

I think it often does.  However, it has not been scientifically proven to help.  That is often due to the acupuncture studies in headache not being scientifically sound in their design, rather than the results.  You cannot truly "double blind" an acupuncture study, and it is important to have a true control group when evaluating whether a treatment is actually effective.
Acupuncture is thousands of years old and can be used for many types of pain. It is an accepted complementary treatment for arthritis, back pain, fibromyalgia, and many other types of chronic pain. Objective trials show a response in many cases and when there is a response with these alternative therapies it is often dramatic. However, it may be a little hard to predict which person will respond. Quite honestly, you will not know whether acupressure or acupuncture works for you until you try it. I do suggest that you choose a qualified acupuncturist, and do not hesitate to ask about that person’s experience and training.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
Can a millennia-old practice really help your health? Proponents of acupuncture think so, and science backs them up. “My patients are often surprised ...
Is it safe to perform acupuncture on myself?
Dr. Daniel Hsu, DAOMDr. Daniel Hsu, DAOM
Self-treatment with acupuncture is not recommended, either with needles or other gadgets. Only a...
What can I learn by asking an acupuncturist why he chose his profession?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Answers will vary. You may hear the acupuncturist’s personal story about how he conquered his own he...
What Are the Risks Involved with Ear Stapling?