How should I take care of myself after acupuncture?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
After an acupuncture treatment it is important to stay well hydrated and to get plenty of rest. Some people feel energized after a treatment while others feel tired. It is important to listen to your body.  

Dr. Daniel Hsu, DAOM
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

The answer to this question depends on the ailment for which acupuncture was sought. If one had an injury to begin with, then one should take it easy after acupuncture. Remember, although the perception of pain may be decreased after acupuncture, the injury still exists. However, if one were receiving acupuncture for stress for example, then regular activity can resume immediately. Ask the doctor or practitioner administering your treatment for specifics as to how to take care of yourself after acupuncture.

Find out why, and how you should take care of yourself after having acupuncture, by watching this video.

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
Can a millennia-old practice really help your health? Proponents of acupuncture think so, and science backs them up. “My patients are often surprised ...
Can acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine help treat lupus?
Chris KilhamChris Kilham
Yes, acupuncture and TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) can help to treat lupus. As an auto-immune d...
Does acupuncture hurt?
Mark SchwartzMark Schwartz
Acupuncture generally uses needles which are between 32 - 36 gauge, which are considerably thinner t...
What Is Scalp Acupuncture?
What Is Scalp Acupuncture?