Can acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine help treat lupus?

Chris Kilham
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Yes, acupuncture and TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) can help to treat lupus. As an auto-immune disorder, lupus affects the skin, joints, kidneys, brain and other organs. Some acupuncture points, when properly stimulated, can help to counteract the attack that the immune system is waging against the body in cases of lupus. Furthermore, some Chinese herbs are immune modulators, and have the capacity to reduce the unhealthy over-activity of the immune system in such cases. As with all serious health disorders, the use of acupuncture and TCM for lupus need to be undertaken by highly skilled practitioners who have undergone extensive training.

Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Geriatric Medicine
Unfortunately, lupus is relatively new and not fully understood. Also, autoimmune conditions like this have no known allopathic cure. The symptoms of this condition can be managed with acupuncture, lifestyle and dietary modifications, and herbal formulations. I recommend contacting a licensed practitioner to determine the proper course of action.

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

Can Acupuncture Help Ease Your Chronic Pain?
In the quest to relieve chronic pain, having tiny needles inserted into your skin may not initially sound like a great idea. But the millions of Ameri...
Can acupuncture help treat arthritis?
Acupuncture can be complementary or an alternative treatment to manage pain from arthritis. Acupunct...
Can I expect my acupuncturist to fill out my insurance forms?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Ninety-five percent of professional acupuncturists are self employed. Therefore, your acupuncturist ...
How Does Acupuncture Treat Pain?
How Does Acupuncture Treat Pain?