Can acupuncture help me quit smoking?

Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Geriatric Medicine
Acupuncture can assist in cravings and dependencies related to smoking. There are several treatment protocols that work to curtail cravings and dependencies.

Some people are able to quit smoking with the help of acupuncture, even though research has not proven that it helps. If you find that acupuncture can help reduce the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal, you may be a successful quitter. But if you don’t, keep trying other conventional therapies, such as managing your triggers, counseling, and medications, until you are successful!

Acupuncture involves the placement of tiny needles in the body to release feel-good chemicals that could help manage the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. Ask your doctor to refer you to a qualified acupuncturist. Or you may refer to the American Association of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine for help in finding an acupuncturist

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

The Power of Acupuncture
The Power of Acupuncture
You may not like the idea of being needled, but acupuncture has been a go-to therapy for over 5,000 years. And this Chinese healing art...
How is ear acupuncture different from traditional acupuncture?
Dr. Daniel Hsu, DAOMDr. Daniel Hsu, DAOM
Ear acupuncture differs from traditional acupuncture because no needles are needed, but that's not...
Can acupuncture help me lose weight?
Dr. Andrea Pennington, MDDr. Andrea Pennington, MD
A study in the journal Medical Acupuncture suggests that the practice of ear acupuncture may help th...
How Should I Take Care of Myself After Acupuncture?