How does acupuncture affect the vagus nerve?

Acupuncture causes measurable increases in vagus nerve activity, so it is at least theoretically possible that these electrical circuits can reduce the inflammatory response by calming down aggressive white blood cells and the cytokine chemicals they release.

Meditation, hypnosis, biofeedback, and relaxation therapies, which have been advocated for treatment of inflammation, may calm you by stimulating vagus nerve activity as well.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Acupuncture

What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
What You Need to Know About Acupuncture
Can a millennia-old practice really help your health? Proponents of acupuncture think so, and science backs them up. “My patients are often surprised ...
Can acupuncture or acupressure help alleviate chronic pain?
Maryanne Lane LMT NCTMBMaryanne Lane LMT NCTMB
Yes they can. Finding the root cause and working the appropriate points is the key issue. I have wor...
Is bruising normal after acupuncture?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Bruising is a normal occurrence in acupuncture -- especially in sensitive areas such as the face...
What Does Acupuncture Feel Like?
What Does Acupuncture Feel Like?