Why should teenage acne be treated?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Teens need special attention and counseling in order to maximize the benefits of treatment. Because teenagers are minors, parents also need to be educated and encouraged to take their teenager’s acne very seriously. There are several reasons to treat acne in teens and to take it very seriously. The social stigma of acne and the risk of scarring, which is generally permanent, are the two biggest reasons. The availability of wonderful, easy-to-use treatments that are safe and effective makes acne one of the relatively easier teen “conditions” to address and offers a compelling reason why the condition must not be ignored.

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

How do I manage my severe acne on a daily basis?
If you have severe acne, you may need medical treatment. If your doctor recommends medicine, take it...
What is the benefit of seeing a dermatologist for my acne?
If acne is moderate to severe, or if it doesn't respond to over-the-counter treatments, it's probabl...
How do newer laser devices differ from earlier models to treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
In the past, CO2 lasers were used to heat water within the skin. This would cause destruction of...
How do retinoids treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The wonderful part about retinoids is that they affect several of the most important steps in the pa...