Why should teenage acne be treated?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Teens need special attention and counseling in order to maximize the benefits of treatment. Because teenagers are minors, parents also need to be educated and encouraged to take their teenager’s acne very seriously. There are several reasons to treat acne in teens and to take it very seriously. The social stigma of acne and the risk of scarring, which is generally permanent, are the two biggest reasons. The availability of wonderful, easy-to-use treatments that are safe and effective makes acne one of the relatively easier teen “conditions” to address and offers a compelling reason why the condition must not be ignored.

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Why should I avoid taking my oral acne antibiotic at bedtime?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
When taking an oral antibiotic, it is important to know the dose you are taking and how many tim...
What is the benefit of seeing a dermatologist for my acne?
Patricia Farris, MDPatricia Farris, MD
There are many effective over the counter remedies for acne. I tell patients to try products with be...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?