When should I ask my doctor to refer me to a skin specialist for my acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
If you feel that your acne is persistent or is leading to scarring and you have tried what you consider to be a reasonable treatment course with over-the-counter and/or prescription medications, you may want to consider consulting a dermatologist for your acne. Dermatologists are medical doctors who specialize in all conditions of the skin, hair, and nails. Some insurance plans require referrals from the primary care physician. In these cases, you may need to request a referral in order to have your insurance cover the visits.

Dermatologists specialize in the treatment of acne, as well as many other skin conditions, and are most likely to be aware of the latest trends in treatments options to help control the acne as quickly as possible; however, not everyone needs to see a doctor to have his or her acne treated. Many people with mild acne do very well with over-the-counter treatments that are widely available. In fact, most people have tried at least one or several over-the-counter or prescription treatments before consulting a dermatologist.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What are treatment options for acne scars?
Joseph AjakaJoseph Ajaka
There are several ways to treat and reduce the scars that have been left by acne.  The severity of t...
What are the laser and light treatments for acne?
The choice to have a cosmetic procedure is a personal one. While all women are beautiful in their ...
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?
How Can an Adult Treat His or Her Acne?