When should I ask my doctor to refer me to a skin specialist for my acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
If you feel that your acne is persistent or is leading to scarring and you have tried what you consider to be a reasonable treatment course with over-the-counter and/or prescription medications, you may want to consider consulting a dermatologist for your acne. Dermatologists are medical doctors who specialize in all conditions of the skin, hair, and nails. Some insurance plans require referrals from the primary care physician. In these cases, you may need to request a referral in order to have your insurance cover the visits.

Dermatologists specialize in the treatment of acne, as well as many other skin conditions, and are most likely to be aware of the latest trends in treatments options to help control the acne as quickly as possible; however, not everyone needs to see a doctor to have his or her acne treated. Many people with mild acne do very well with over-the-counter treatments that are widely available. In fact, most people have tried at least one or several over-the-counter or prescription treatments before consulting a dermatologist.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What can I expect when starting a new topical treatment for my acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Depending on the medication used, there can be an adjustment period where the skin adapts to the...
What is the Nlight-V laser system for treating acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The latest laser to get US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval is the Nlite-V laser syst...
Who is most likely to benefit from hormone therapy for acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
For optimal results from hormonal therapy, appropriate patient selection is key. Hormonal therapy is...
How do medications treat acne?
Over-the-counter creams and gels usually have chemicals like salicylic acid that work by drying out ...