When are oral antibiotics prescribed to treat acne?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
The choice between topical and systemic medications is generally based on the presence, extent, and severity of inflammatory lesions. For best results, antimicrobial agents should be combined with topical retinoids and a topical benzoyl peroxide (BP) product. This increases efficacy, shortens the treatment duration, and helps prevent antibiotic resistance.

The main indication for oral antibiotics is moderate-to-severe inflammatory acne. Tetracyclines are the most commonly used family of antibiotics, a class of antibiotics known as macrolides, and a third class called sulfonamides. Topical antibiotics and BP are indicated in people with mild-to-moderate inflammatory acne. It is highly recommended that topical treatments, such as with BP and azelaic acid or retinoids, be used in combination with oral antibiotics in order to speed the treatment results and to minimize the resistance of the bacteria to the antibiotic.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Are laser treatments for acne safe for darker skin?
Shirley M. Madhere, MDShirley M. Madhere, MD
I am answering this question both as a professional as well as a woman of color who has undergone la...
What can a doctor do for acne scars?
Doctors have many options for helping with acne scars. They can offer topical treatments such as...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?