What can I use for acne while I'm pregnant?

Pregnancy-safe acne remedies include prescription topical erythromycin or azeleic acid, or over-the-counter topical salicylic acid. Though they haven't been specifically tested during pregnancy, they're FDA-approved and their relative risk is quite low. Accutane, a very effective medication for treating acne, is not safe for use in pregnancy, as it may cause birth defects. Be sure to discuss it with your obstetrician, as well as your skin doctor.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What is the Nlight-V laser system for treating acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The latest laser to get US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval is the Nlite-V laser syst...
Can I take oral isotretinoin for acne if I am pregnant?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The one instance in which there is a very real and serious concern regarding acne medications and pr...
What Topical Products Can Help Treat Acne Blemishes?
How Long Should a Typical Acne Pimple Last?