What do I need to know about caring for someone with acne?

A consistent daily routine is a key factor in treating acne. If you can help to keep to a cleansing and moisturizing routine, acne may be much easier to manage.
Make sure that the person affected by acne is following good general skin care habits. Remind them when necessary of things to avoid that can cause flareups--harsh scrubbing of the skin, too much sunlight, touching the face a lot throughout the day, and so on. Also make sure that any prescription medication is being used according to the directions from a doctor or pharmacist. It's important to remember that even though acne is a skin condition, it can also have psychological effects. Acne may cause people to become embarrassed, ashamed, or even depressed about their appearance. Be aware of these effects and provide positive encouragement and support.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

What are the risks from using skin-lightening creams for acne scarring?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The complications from using hydroquinone products are uncommon and usually have to do with ingr...
Why do topical acne treatments come in so many different forms?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
The vehicle is part of the product that holds the active ingredient. It is the base or the part ...
What Can I Do About My Acne?
What Can I Do About My Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?