What do I need to know about caring for someone with acne?

A consistent daily routine is a key factor in treating acne. If you can help to keep to a cleansing and moisturizing routine, acne may be much easier to manage.
Make sure that the person affected by acne is following good general skin care habits. Remind them when necessary of things to avoid that can cause flareups--harsh scrubbing of the skin, too much sunlight, touching the face a lot throughout the day, and so on. Also make sure that any prescription medication is being used according to the directions from a doctor or pharmacist. It's important to remember that even though acne is a skin condition, it can also have psychological effects. Acne may cause people to become embarrassed, ashamed, or even depressed about their appearance. Be aware of these effects and provide positive encouragement and support.

Continue Learning about Acne Treatment

Is low-dose doxycycline effective to treat acne?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Low-dose doxycycline is a treatment that is gaining some momentum. When this antibiotic is at do...
Is there an effective way to treat acne and wrinkles?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
There are plenty of over-the-counter creams, lotions and washes. For those looking for other remedie...
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
Are There Some Home Remedies for Acne?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?
How Can I Get My Acne Scars Treated?